Monday, May 7, 2012

Let me tell you, it's been a long time coming



    Today felt like Christmas.  By my anticipation, I opened the door in a blur as the UPS woman stood there with two packages.  I signed in a hurried state, said "thank you" and ran for the utensil drawer in the kitchen. After carefully slicing the plastic tape adhering to the "well insured" box, I opened it...very slowly.  Much care went into making sure this parcel was secure and I sure as heck wasn't going to hastily open it.  The "flute" has arrived.  Wrapped with more packaging tape and bubble wrap lay a  dainty black case made by Northwind Cases in Tucson Arizona. I opened it slowly, eyes actually shut and smiling at me was a gorgeous African blackwood and silver 8 keyed flute made by the well respected wooden flute maker, John Gallagher.  I put the flute pieces together and discovered a sound that made my heart melt.  How do I verbally describe the sound?  I will try to describe the initial sound like a sommelier who tastes wine. When playing the higher register, it sounded refined, sweet, and crisp like an apple.  The lower register produced a strong presence, very powerful in timbre. It was so effortless to play that I felt as those I was committing a crime.
    But, here is the kicker, I can only play it for 5 to 10 minutes a day and increase it 5 to 10 minutes each successive day.  I have to break in the flute gently, folks.  Patience is a virtue and as much as I lack it right now, I have to bite this bullet and do precisely what Mr. Gallagher says.  All I can say is, I have fallen in love and there is nothing my husband and children can do about it.  They will have to accept this new personality with open arms into our new musical family.
    Oh, and what other package?

3 comments:

  1. YESSSSSS!!!!!! AWESOME! I can't wait to hear you play it :) XOXOXOXO love is right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, love is in the air. Thanks Jessicarita. Once I have acclimated the flute, I will record a couple of tunes here on the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome. After a year of playing the whistle I bought an Irish flute. I'm still trying to figure it out, but work has taken up most of my time lately.

    ReplyDelete